EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH UP AND COMING RAPPER BENEDICT OKOJIE ALSO KNOWN AS ILECTRIK
Benedict OKOJIE born on May 9th is better known by his stage name ILECTRIK,he is an upcoming Nigerian Rapper.A student of Caleb University currently studying Mass Communication.We have him on our fore front today for a brief interview on how he feels about the music industry and rap game
Q:-What is your musical background
A:-I officially started rapping in 2016 but before then I had been doing freestyles and public performances in school and church. My Dad used to manage artistes in the 80s and my sister also sings so I guess my musical roots are from there.
Q:-How long have you been doing this and how did you get started in the first place
A:-Like I said before 2016, so that's two years now. I got started when my friends from secondary school released a song and I felt I could do better, so I made mine.
Q:-Who were the first influence on your music and style of approach
A:-When I first started I really liked Olamide, then I didn't really listen to foreign music but I got introduced to trap music through a friend and then I started listening to Young Thug, Travis Scott (who I love so much) amongst others. I have way more influences right now but when I first started it was those three, and also Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, 2014 Forest Hills drive was an album that I lived through
Q:-How would you describe your own style
A:-I think I'm quite versatile. So I'm not restricted to one particular genre. I have different approaches to music so to put them all together would be kinda hard, but I like to be under the new age but timeless style of music
Q:-Do you think your music is mostly enjoyed more for the beats or for the lyrical flow and content
A:-it's more of both. I pay great attention to the production to my music and even more to the lyrics because a well made beat can leave a tune in a listeners head and the lyrics can leave the relatable or creative content that would impress.
Q:-How have you developed your career
A:-I can't mention every little detail but by God's grace I've come a long way. This interview is an example of that because it proves my music has gotten somewhere. I think social media and the support of friends have helped in the growth and also consistency. I'm still developing and have a long way to go.
Q:-How do you separate yourself from other artists
A:-Being a person itself separates me from others because no two people are the same. As an artiste I think your music is also your image so if my music is different and new,so am I. And that's my main prerogative. I'm different, my music different and that's what makes the brand special.
Q:-What hip-hop albums did you grow up listening to
A:-I actually started to listen to Hip Hop a few years ago and not as a child. I was not crazy about music as a child, But I'm Still growing up so I will mention the ones I really love, 2014 Forest Hills Drive, Good Kid M.A.A.D city, To Pimp A Butterfly, Almost All Eminem albums including Bad Meets Evil's Hell The Sequel, All Lil Wayne albums, still waiting on Carter V, 2012/2013 Drake,
Q:-If you could choose to work with some of today's established artist,to move your game to the top,with whom would you like to collaborate?
A:-I would love to do a Collaboration album with Drake or Travis Scott. Other artistes I'd love to work with are Wizkid, Nasty C, Nicki Minaj, YCee, burna etc.
Q:-In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre today and why
A:-Drake, and that's because he's very versatile. Drake to me is the perfect example of an artiste who instead of thinking outside the box, has no box at all, and that's key.
Q:-What is your top5 favorite rappers
A:-Lil Wayne, Eminem, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, JCole
in no particular order.
Q:-What would be your dream venue In which to perform
A:-I don't have a dream venue but a dream event that I will host and millions of people would attend.
Q:-Which latest songs,videos or mixtapes releases are currently available to your fans and where they can be heard or downloaded
A:-My latest single Uberman is available for streaming, I am yet to drop a project and I plan to drop one this year. All my musics are available on all digital stores, streaming services like audiomack & soundcloud etc
Q:-What do you have to say to up and coming artists like yourself
A:-Keep your head up, don't let anyone bring you down, be open to criticism, be stragetic, Trust God.
We've heard it all from LECTRIK catch up with more of our interviews soon.



Comments
Post a Comment